PATRIOT CORPS

PATRIOT CORPS

Patriot Corps is dedicated to the preservation of life, liberty, and the inalienable rights of all law-abiding American citizens through the development of their readiness for contingency situations.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 21 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:59 pm
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 

Ivy League Professor Calls God a White Racist Over Zimmerman Verdict

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Ivy League Professor Calls God a White Racist Over Zimmerman Verdict   Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:24 pm

Posted by: Matt Liponoga Posted date: July 17, 2013 In: News | comment : 0 Comments and 0 Reactions

For some reason, when Martin Luther King Jr. said, “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character,” I don’t think he imagined Anthea Butler.

Anthea Butler is a professor at the University of Pennsylvania in their religious studied department. In January she was a keynote speaker for Meet King Day 2013 and also a regular guest on the Melissa Harris Perry Show on MSNBC. Butler also reflects on contemporary politics, religion and social issues on the online magazine Religion Dispatches and her own blog, “You Might Think So.”

On Monday, after Zimmerman’s verdict came back not-guilty she wrote an article titled, “The Zimmerman Acquittal: America’s Racist God” in which she accused America’s God to be a white racist.

Anthea Butler’s continued on to say:

God ain’t good all of the time. In fact, sometimes, God is not for us. As a black woman in a nation that has taken too many pains to remind me that I am not a white man, and am not capable of taking care of my reproductive rights, or my voting rights, I know that this American god ain’t my god. As a matter of fact, I think he’s a white racist god with a problem. More importantly, he is carrying a gun and stalking young black men.

When George Zimmerman told Sean Hannity that it was God’s will that he shot and killed Trayvon Martin, he was diving right into what most good conservative Christians in America think right now. Whatever makes them protected, safe, and secure, is worth it at the expense of the black and brown people they fear.

Their god is the god that wants to erase race, make everyone act “properly” and respect, as the president said, “a nation of laws”; laws that they made to crush those they consider inferior.

When the laws were never made for people who were considered, constitutionally, to be three-fifths of a person, I have to ask: Is this just? Is it right? Is God the old white male racist looking down from white heaven, ready to bless me if I just believe the white men like Rick Perry who say the Zimmerman case has nothing to do with race?

You already know the answer: No.

The lamentation of the African-American community at yet another injustice, the surprise and disgust of others who understand, stand against this pseudo-god of capitalisms and incarceration that threaten to take over our nation.

While many continue to proclaim that the religious right is over, they’re wrong. The religious right is flourishing, and unlike the right of the 1970s, religious conservatism of the 21st century is in bed with the prison industrial complex, the Koch brothers, the NRA—all while proclaiming that they are “pro-life.” They are anything but. They are the ones who thought that what George Zimmerman did was right.

As a historian of American and African-American religion, I know that the Trayvon Martin moment is just one moment in a history of racism in America that, in large part, has its underpinnings in Christianity and its history.

Those of us who teach American Religion have a responsibility to tell all of the story, not just the nice touchy-feely parts. When the good Christians of America are some of its biggest racists, one has to consider our moral responsibility to call out those who clearly are not for human flourishing, no matter what ethnicity a person is. Where are you on that scale? I know where I am.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://patriotcorps.forumotion.com

Page 1 of 1